Letter to community dated 3/11/2020
Dear WLCSD Staff:
With the Governor’s recommendation to cancel large group and public gatherings, and with two known cases of Coronavirus in Michigan, Walled Lake Schools will follow the Governor’s recommendations to prevent and mitigate exposure to this pandemic.
The following actions will take place immediately in Walled Lake Schools, until further notice or official recommendation to resume these activities:
- Canceling/postponing all large group events: This includes plays, musicals, concerts, PTA meetings, Kindergarten Orientation, Community Education programs, and any and all programs outside of the normal school day that occur within our schools. (We will be continuing Prime Time Care at our elementary schools for our families until 6 p.m.).
- Canceling all international travel and domestic travel that is scheduled to occur prior to the end of April.
- Canceling athletic competitions: WLCSD will work with the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) on regional and other competitions, which may include conducting the event with only family and officials present or canceling.
- Canceling all rental events currently scheduled at Walled Lake School facilities including dance competitions.
- Suspending all tours of Walled Lake Schools facilities.
- Canceling after hour rental activities at the Outdoor Education Center (this includes fifth grade camp).
- Continue to thoroughly clean all of our buildings and common surfaces and follow all guidance from the CDC, WHO, MDE, Oakland County Health Department, Oakland Schools, and others as we navigate this issue. We are staying abreast of what is happening with:
1. Level III CDC designated countries.
2. How Coronavirus is being handled throughout our country and the world.
3. University responses.
- Continue recommended cleaning and hygiene:
- Daily practices with staff and students, especially thorough washing of hands and using hand sanitizer. We are asking staff to eliminate handshakes and high fives, etc. with students and staff.
- Stay home if you are sick, and advise others to do the same.
- Always cover coughs or sneezes with a tissue or sleeve.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and warm water are not available.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces (computers, keyboards, desks, etc.). The Information Technology Department has ordered disinfecting wipes for routine cleaning of all Chromebooks across the District. IT staff will be working to ensure all technology is cleaned to minimize the potential spread of illness.
- Potential Closure: While we know some universities have closed in Michigan, we are working to prepare for the possibility. We rely on the guidance of the Governor and health officials to make decisions about closing schools. Walled Lake Schools will remain open until further notice. I assure you, we will make decisions as to how to proceed as quickly as possible.
Safety is paramount. While we want school to continue and will take any/all measures to keep our children, staff, and school community safe, the situation involving this health challenge is rapidly changing. Thank you for your attention to continued updates on this important topic.
Your support is appreciated.
Superintendent of Schools
Walled Lake Consolidated School District
850 Ladd Road, Building D
Walled Lake, MI 48390
Every Child, Every Day!
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom they are addressed. This message may contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) named. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.